Thursday, March 25, 2010

Day 11 of the Sketch Project

Confession: My favorite thing to sketch is people.

That said, sketching people is potentially very awkward. Especially when the sketcher is an amateur. And especially when the sketch will be posted online. Therefore, not many people are willing to volunteer. Thus, I became the volunteer, even in the face of seeming narcissistic.

So here is my first attempt at a self-portrait. I considered making a funny face, but decided to give Melissa a gift by being serious. I ended up looking more forlorn than serious. And my eyes (irises) are too large, however the bags under my eyes are true to size :).

This is definitely more challenging than tulips or even bicycles, but that is why I started this journey: to say yes to a challenge!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! faces are hard.

And now I must insert a comment from my husband who can sketch pretty well too...(http://amyellison.wordpress.com/2007/08/20/portfolio-of-beauty/)

He suggests using black grey and white oil pastels, or if you stick with pencils, use a charcoal pencil that will help you make your darks darker - to give a more 3D look. He liked the darkness of the eyes here.

Beth Stice said...

that's a great idea - by the way I am open to any and all suggestions for sketching from anyone. Please let me know if you have methods or ideas for improvement! Thanks!

Jeremy Benson said...

Not bad at all.

Haley Rae French said...

very impressed! way to go, Beth :)

Eric Alan Ordway said...

Hey Beth! It's great that you are doing self-portraits!
Keep it up, that is the one things that my instructor always drilled into us. Saying that you discover something about yourself because you are intently looking at the one thing we almost gaze at... ourselves :)